What is Python?
Python is a high-level programming language for general-purpose programming. It’s an open-source programming language that is known for its simple, and easy to learn, syntax. It’s a great language for first-time programmers.
Python is used for:
- web development (server-side)
- AI (Artificial ıntelligence)
Python is an interpreted language, so it doesn’t need to be compiled. This helps speed up development, as no extra compile step is required.
In computer science, an interpreter is a computer program that directly executes instructions written in a programming or scripting language, without requiring them previously to have been compiled into a machine language program.
History of Python
Python was initially created in December 1989 by a Dutch programmer, Guido van Rossum . He was an employee for Stichting Mathematisch Centrum (CWI) at the time, and that’s where Python was used initially. He named Python after the British sketch comedy series, Monty Python’s Flying Circus.
Why don’t you watch him explaining it? Here is the link:
The Story of Python, by Its Creator, Guido van Rossum
Why use Python?
- Easy to learn. Python’s syntax is simple and includes English words that make it easy to read and understand. Beginners can learn a lot just by looking at existing code.
- Python works on different platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, Raspberry Pi, etc)
- Python uses new lines to complete a command, as opposed to other programming languages which often use semicolons or parentheses.
- Python runs on an interpreter system, meaning that code can be executed as soon as it is written. This means that prototyping can be very quick.
- Python can be treated in a procedural way, an object-orientated way or a functional way.
- Python has a large community of developers writing software modules and providing help to newbies and other developers.
- A lot can be achieved with a small amount of code.
The most recent major version of Python is Python 3, which we use in this tutorial.
Basically, if you are looking for a job then Python is for you. It opens many opportunities and different positions in programming.
Next Tutorial >>